Our Mission: Compassionate Canines of Central Oregon is an all-volunteer organization to promote positive human-animal interactions to improve the physical, emotional and psychological lives of those we serve. These human-animal interactions include, but are not limited to, visits to hospitals, special needs centers, schools, and nursing homes. Our objective is to form a network of caring individuals who are willing to share their special animals in order to bring happiness and cheer to people, young and old alike.
Compassionate Canines of Central Oregon was formed in 2001 by Mare Peters, whose dream was to contribute to the community by working with the innate ability of dogs to bring affectionate companionship to humans. Therapy dog teams began making a connection to one another, and the opportunity to become part of a more coordinated therapy dog volunteering effort in central Oregon was started. Our volunteers, with their gentle dogs at their side, are committed to bringing comfort, support, and animal companionship to those who will benefit. Compassionate Canines volunteers are registered and insured with nationally recognized pet therapy organizations. Compassionate Canines of Central Oregon is organized specifically to:
- Bring volunteer teams together for the purpose of education, support, and networking
- Provide people residing in various health care settings in the central Oregon areas the opportunity for supportive therapy dog visits
- Provide opportunities for therapy dog teams to visit people of all ages in other appropriate, safe settings
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What attributes and skills are required to become therapy dog team? How do I certify or register with a therapy dog organization? How much does it cost?
Read the article Can Your Dog Be a Therapy Dog?
Go to the Becoming a Pet Therapy Team page.
- What are therapy dog volunteer opportunities in Central Oregon?
Go to the Programs page.
- How do I find about therapy dog classes and events in Central Oregon?
Go to the News & Events page.
Join the Compassionate Canines Facebook Group.
- How can I request a therapy pet visit with the residents at my facility?
Send your request using the Contact Compassionate Canines form.